So, 2012 has finally crept up on us! Happy New Year to you all.
This is a quick post to prod you to check that the year shown in the copyright statement of your website is correct, and if not, how to change it so that it updates automatically.
Firstly, open your site and scroll down to the bottom. Most websites will have a statement in the footer of the site that reads something like this :
"© 2012 - Acme Doodle Widgets"
If your site is still showing 2011, here's a quick fix to make that date change automatically each New Year.
The Quick Fix
- You must have FTP access to the files of your site.
- Your server / hosting must be capable of running PHP
- Log in to the FTP and download a backup of your entire site (in case something goes wrong).
- Depending on how your site is built, look for a file that contains the code for the footer of your site, or if your site contains individual files open each file.
- Look for the section that shows your current copyright notice, and substitute the year (2011) for this :
<?php echo date('Y'); ?>
- Save the file, and re-upload it to your server
- Open the page (or site) in your web browser to double check whether it's worked.
But i'm not a techie!
If you don't have access to your website, or you're not comfortable updating it yourself feel free to get in touch and we'll happily help you out.